GoToTraining API Overview
"Online learning is not the next big thing, it is the now big thing.”
- Donna J. Abernathy
Run your trainings in-house!
GoToTraining APIs let you create a stable, high-performance, online training environment. GoToTraining provides a complete virtual training infrastructure including scheduling, registration, recording and reporting. You can focus on managing the user experience with the assurance that the underlying services are world-class. You can set up the system to use a branded interface, or rely on the GoToTraining Organizers' portal.
The GoToTraining Experience
In GoToTraining there are organizers, co-organizers, registrants and attendees.
Organizers have permissions to schedule, update, delete, start, and conduct trainings. Co-organizers can do all of these except schedule a training. A co-organizer is assigned to a scheduled training either when it is created or updated. If an organizer or co-organizer attends a training, they are also recorded as attendees.
Your users can register (and optionally pay) for a scheduled training, thus becoming registrants. Registrants automatically receive welcome emails providing times and instructions. When a registrant joins an online training session they become an attendee. If the organizer chooses, they can generate a join-URL which they can send out. If someone joins from this URL without registering, that individual is only ever an attendee.
Organizers will need to use their GoToTraining organizer’s account in the GoToTraining admin portal to schedule recurring trainings; to upload materials, tests, polls and evaluations; to share scheduled trainings in an account-wide catalog; to record and upload recorded trainings; and to generate registration, evaluation, test, and training history reports. In addition, to accept paid registrations, you will need to use the GoToTraining admin portal to connect a Paypal account and set the price for specific trainings.
The GoToTraining Admin Center adds the capability of adding payment settings, enabling or disabling co-organizers, and of allowing co-organizers to share storage space and select other organizers for a scheduled training.
The underlying GoToTraining data objects consist of organizers, trainings, sessions, registrants, and attendees. In general, data values are 19-plus alphanumeric characters with case sensitivity. However, the length and definition of data keys may change at any time.
Registration at goto-developer.logmeininc.com generates the following critical values:
- Access_token - Alphanumeric string used to authorize your requests to our backend servers. This is passed in every HTTP header for every API call.
- Organizer_key - Numeric string that represents your organizer and presenter status and allows you to create, edit, delete, and launch trainings. This is passed in many API request URLs to validate or identify the individual responsible.
- Account_key - Numeric string denoting your overall company account. This is a numeric string that is passed, for instance, to obtain a list of all organizers on the account.
Additional key values are:
- trainingKey - Created when you schedule a new training. This key is used in API calls where data related to a single training is requested. To locate a trainingKey, use the Get Trainings call. The key remains valid after the training is completed, but cannot be used to make any updates to the training – name, times, etc. However, it is possible to delete the training if you choose. The training sessions (see sessionKey, below) remain available for reporting.
- registrantKey - Created when someone registers for a training. This key is used in API calls where data related to a registrant is requested. To locate a registrantKey, use the Get Training Registrants call.
- sessionKey - When any training is started, each session of that training is recorded as a session. The session data can be accessed using this numeric value.
The URL of any API method has to start with https://api.getgo.com/
The steps to get your developer account and run your first successful API call are in the GoTo Training Quick-Start article.