FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Forgot your email address?
- How do I get started?
- How do I sign in to the Developer Center?
- What can I do with the APIs?
- Can I access more than one product API?
- How do I use a third-party application or plugin?
- How do I get GoTo product trial accounts?
- How do I create a developer application?
- What is a Consumer Key (Client ID) and why is it important?
- How do you authenticate users and get authorization for accessing a user's account?
- What are the default rate limits for the APIs?
- How can I access analytic data about my APIs?
- How should I report issues to developer support?
- What is the maintenance window for APIs?
- How are date formats and time zones implemented in the API calls?
- What are the HTTP response status codes and how do I fix any errors causing them?
- Are there other versions of your APIs?
- How can I add GoToWebinar registrants from an Excel file?
- Are there Postman collections available?
The Developer Center enables you to provide your users with powerful tools - online meetings, trainings, webinars, technical support, and administrative capabilities. All Developer Center accounts are free.
- For any GoTo product, one or more users must have a GoTo product account. You can start with a free trial account.
- In the Developer Center, you create an application.
- Then, using the clientID for that application, you request an access token and obtain other key data.
- Once you have the token and key data you can try out API calls using the interactive Postman Collections.
This site uses your GoTo account ID for user authentication. Sign in with your email address.
If you do not remember the email address you used, you can use your former username to retrieve it.
The APIs are provided so you can extend the product's functionality, integrate with other systems, or create a unique user experience. It's up to you and your creativity on how you might be able to leverage the APIs to build something unique, interesting, and valuable.
Each application and its associated developer key are limited to one product.
If you would like to access the APIs for multiple products then you will create multiple applications, each application being specific to one of the products you wish to access. For example a web application that uses both GoToMeeting and GoToTraining might create applications Meeting-integration and Training-integration. When making calls to the product APIs, the application would need to make sure it uses the correct developer key for the specific calls.
Please note that OAuth authorization process is specific to an application. In the example above a user would need to authorize your application for access to their GoToMeeting account as well as their GoToTraining account.
Developers build specialized applications or integrations using GoTo APIs and make these integrations available for subscription and use by anyone. You can review several of these applications in the Integration Marketplace. These integrations enable you to use GoTo APIs with specialized or extended functionality without doing any additional development work. If you are using an integration, keep the following points in mind:
- You will likely need a GoTo product account in addition to the Integration account.
- You will access GoTo resources through the integration, which means that:
- You DO NOT need a developer account unless the integration explicitly states that one is required.
- You should work directly with the integrator for documentation, support, and access.
API developer accounts are free, but the APIs run GoTo products which require user accounts. If you or someone in your organization does not have a GoTo account for the product you are creating a client app for, you can get a trial account for a limited time.
Trial accounts are available at no cost for 30 days:
- GoToAssist - connect users through active screen sharing
- GoToMeeting - schedule and hold online meetings with all the tools
- GoToTraining - conduct online trainings with supporting documents and tools
- GoToWebinar - create, conduct and store online webinars
The Admin API requires a multi-user account. You can create a multi-user trial account for GoToMeeting/Webinar or Training when you set the number of organizer seats to more than 1.
A single registered development user can have multiple applications. Each developer application has a unique consumer key. A Consumer Key is required to authenticate your developer account with a GoTo account.
To find the Consumer Key of your app go to My Apps on the Developer Center. You will see a list of all your apps. Click on the app you need the key for and select the Keys tab. It displays your app's Consumer Key, Consumer Secret, and Callback URL. At this time the Consumer Secret is not used in the API.
To use the key to obtain an access token, see How to Get an Access Token.
For a detailed overview, with steps, options, and syntax, see How to Get an Access Token and Organizer Key.
If you are working with GoToAssist Corporate, see How to Use Direct Login to authenticate and authorize. Direct login only takes a single step, but is only used in relatively secured environments such as intranets.
During development the rate limit is 100 calls a second per application, 10 calls per second per method, and a total of 500 calls per day. Production limits are set after your application is reviewed and approved for production use. To request higher rate limits please contact email@example.com. Please provide details about your application and screenshots of the integration. We will then contact you to schedule a demo of your application prior to approving your higher production profile.
Each application you create on the MyApps page includes an Analytics menu option. Under Analytics, you can review throughput, response times, and message, error and user counts for your app.
Every week the API platform may be impacted by maintenance activity. The window is set for every Tuesday from 07:00 to 08:00, UTC. The maximum amount of actual maintenance time will be 2 minutes or less.
The only impact will be to API calls on specified products. The ability to conduct meetings, webinars, trainings, etc., will not be impacted, just the ability to create or modify these using an API call.
In all Post calls, always use the UTC date format, 2015-12-11T09:00:00Z (i.e., include the trailing Z), to ensure correct creation of dates. In all cases, you should also declare the organizer's local time zone. This ensures the event displays in the organizer’s time zone in the Admin Center for GoToMeeting, GoToTraining, and GoToWebinar. These practices also result in consistent and correct treatment of dates in other APIs. If you omit either or both values, inconsistent behavior can result.
The error codes you receive can depend on the data and data formats included in the call. For instance, the key values such as organizerKey, webinarKey, etc., are all numeric. Passing an incorrect key value may return different error messages than if you include alphabetic characters or non-numeric characters. This link provides API status code explanations. For a general overview, or if you encounter codes not documented here, see the WWW3 organization’s Hypertext Transfer Protocol.
The current APIs and any new APIs or changes will be backwards compatible. This means we won't change existing elements, but we may add new elements. Any significant changes to the APIs will be versioned and we will maintain at least two versions of the API, the current version and the previous version. We most likely will not maintain more than two versions of the APIs unless we deem it necessary. We will always provide at least 6 months before deprecating a version of the APIs to allow for updates and migrations to a newer version.
I have a list with first name, last name and email address of registrants. How can I register all these users for a webinar without coding?
You can create curl commands with the registrant data within Excel and run these commands in the cygwin terminal. In detail it works as follows:
- Register in the developer portal and create a new application in the portal. Enter the following data:
- App Name: G2W registration
- Description: G2W registration
- Product API: GoToWebinar
- Application URL: https://api.getgo.com
- If you need more thaen 10 calls/second or 500 calls/day send your consumer key (API key) to firstname.lastname@example.org and request production level.
- Download the Excel template extract and open it.
- Create an access token using the direct login method. Enter the access_token and organizer_key in the Excel sheet in line 1 and 2 respectively.
- Create a webinar or open an existing webinar in the web portal. In the URL you find the webinarKey. Enter this webinarKey in the Excel sheet in line 3.
- Enter the registrants data in the Excel sheet in the columns firstName, lastName and email.
- In the column "Curl commands" the curl commands to register the users are created automatically.
- Copy all curl commands into a text file with the name "CreateRegistrants.sh".
- If you are working on a Windows PC download Cygwin and install it with the curl package.
- Copy the file "CreateRegistrants.sh" into your cygwin home directory, e.g. C:\cygwin\home\thomas\CreateRegistrants.sh.
- Open the cygwin terminal and enter ./CreateRegistrants.sh. The registrants are created and the JoinUrl for each registant is copied into the file JoinUrl.txt.
- If you are working on a Mac, Linux oder Unix computer you have to set the permission to execute the file CreateRegistrants.sh:
- Open the command shell.
- Change to the directory were the file CreateRegistrants.sh is located.
- Enter the command "chmod +x CreateRegistrants.sh".
- Enter ./CreateRegistrants.sh. The registrants are created and the JoinUrl for each registant is copied into the file JoinUrl.txt.
Postman is a Google product that lets you maintain and run collections of API requests. A set of API collections for GoToMeeting, GoToWebinar, and GoToTraining is available. See the Using Postman API Collections page for links and instructions. Please be aware, these collections are NOT SUPPORTED!